From David Le Strat <dlest...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [J2] Service Framework Proposal
Date Sun, 18 Jan 2004 17:33:13 GMT
Tim,

I actually looked into OSGI a bit.  For those who need
an overview, check:

http://www.osgi.org/resources/spec_overview.asp

I looked in particular at Oscar and the new plugin
eclipse framework Equinox based on OSGI as well.

http://oscar-osgi.sourceforge.net/
http://www.eclipse.org/equinox/

OSGI seemed initially designed to target the embedded
device market and has evolved over time to make it
into Eclipse (v3) and other projects.

It did not seems completely obvious to me how to
bootstrap those type of containers in a web
application and what benefits would be derived from
using that type of containers (I believe they mostly
rely on type 2 IoC) as opposed to the ones outlined in
the proposal.

I would be very interested in knowing if you see any
specific benefits in using such containers.  There
really seems to be only 2 options out there (Oscar and
Equinox).

Regards,

David.