From David Le Strat <dlest...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [J2] Service Framework Proposal
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2004 15:11:36 GMT
Glenn,

Some more details:

- JMX: java management extensions.

Here is a good overview of JMX:
http://www.ebizq.net/topics/objects_components/features/1738.html

It basically allows you to manage your components once
deployed.

- Self contained, self configurable component: what i
mean by that a component and its functionality can be
encapsulated as a "jar" file and easily reused.  Let's
take the persistence component (in J2 the persistence
plugin), assuming that you can just include the jar
file with its metadata when deploying that component,
it becomes straightforward to leverage it in the
portal framework and in portlets independently from
the portal framework. This is one possible scenario,
many others are possible.  A little bit what EJBs are
trying to achieve but wihtout the overhead.

Regards,

David.