From David Le Strat <dlest...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [J2] Service Framework Proposal
Date Sun, 04 Jan 2004 14:45:56 GMT
Glenn,

This is the kind of debate we should be having.
Spring actually falls into the AOP/IoC realm though
Spring is actually much bigger than that as it
provides an MVC framework and so on.

If we stick to IoC/AOP, whichever framework is being
used, I believe that IoC 2 or 3 are the best choices
as you don't need a ServiceManager or JNDI to fetch
the dependencies from.

Spring also supports AOP and even has its own AOP
implementation.

On the drawbacks side, using Spring you have to
provide quite a bit of component metadata (which I
don't think is really a big deal, but some people may
think so) and we would have to implement JMX support.

Another drawback of Spring seems to be the component
configuration itself.  It does not seem possible to
allow deploying self contained components / self
configurable components.  Configuration seems to be
tight to the web application configuration (through
the applicationContext.xml).  So you would not be able
to package your application services independently of
the application.  Please correct me if I missed
something here.

I have not implemented a service using Spring per say.
 If we could work around the configuration issue and
JMX, Spring could actually be a good fit for Jetspeed.
 Any comments from others?

Just my 2 cents.

David.