From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Service and Component Frameworks
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2003 19:40:57 GMT
Im starting a little informal thread discussing Service and Component
Frameworks.

Currently we are using Fulcrum in Jetspeed-2.
While I do like Fulcrum and it has been very useful for us, there are
now more advanced service frameworks available.
All services in J2 are implemented as Common Portlet Services. The goal
of CPS was to act as a layer so that we could more easily swap out
Fulcrum in the future. I think that time has come and we need to start
reviewing the other frameworks and make a decision.

The frameworks we have considering are:

1. Hivemind
2. Pico Container
3. Jetspeed Cornerstone (not to be confused with Avalon Cornerstone)
4. Avalon

I really like what I've seen in Hivemind, however the current licensing
issues concern me.
I also think that Cornerstone, contributed by the Cisco team to
Jetspeed, is very powerful.
Are there other service frameworks we should be considering?