From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: Architecture of jetspeed
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2003 19:06:15 GMT

On Tuesday, November 18, 2003, at 10:50  AM, Tod Thomas wrote:

> David,
>
> Will this architecture persist in Jetspeed 2?  Judging from discussions
> I've read on this list I believe it won't.  If not, could you describe
> the
> differences using the same format as you did below?

J2 doesn't rely on Turbine.
J2 has its own servlet.
However J2 has a pipeline architecture, and does not use modules.
The request runs thru the pipeline where different Jetspeed portal
components can plug in to the pipeline and perform some kind of
processing.

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-jetspeed-2/portal/src/webapp/WEB-
INF/conf/jetspeed-pipeline.xml?rev=1.3&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-
markup

Probably the most significant changes in J2 are:
1. compliant with the Java Portlet Spec
2. Separates Portlet applications from the portal

#2 is very important to the architecture, since we are separating the
concerns of the portal and the portlet application, cleaning up the
system architecture significantly