From "Sami Leino" <sami.le...@netorek.fi>
Subject Re: Extending profile locator in Jetspeed 1
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2003 10:56:27 GMT
> The Profiler interface already has createProfileLocator() method.
> Just need to make it configurable via the properties file and load your
> locator I can make this change easily if you. I will do it today

That would be a nice thing to have. If you have some spare time and see
this feature useful, please go ahead. Just make sure that the
implementation defaults to the standard ProfileLocator when the custom
class has not been excplicitly defined in the property file.

> Jetspeed doesn't actually use Groups for its own purpose, it just
> always defaults the group to "Jetspeed".
> I think you could use the Group as the organization.
> I know that Santiago does this....

I have many times been wondering about the significance of the Group
entity. Isn't it so that the roles are dependent of the groups in the way
that (in theory) user could have role "admin" within group "group1" and
role "user" within group "group2"?

At least the LDAP implementation ties roles to groups in that way.
Therefore, I can not totally discard the Jetspeed group, but I could
attach another group to users for representing the organization. When
setting the group to ProfileLocator, I could ignore the "Jetspeed" group
and set the other one to it instead. Then, I could use that information to
locate the profile. Do you see this as a good alternative?

Sami

--

Sami Leino
Software Developer