From BaTien Duong <batien.du...@dbgroups.com>
Subject Re: Service and Component Frameworks
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 03:09:06 GMT
Jun Yang wrote:

> Hi BaTien,
>
> Your questions are very interesting!  Thanks for asking them.  My
> comments are below.
>
> BaTien Duong wrote:
>
>> Jun Yang wrote:
>>
>> Here are links to the Cornerstone docs.  Warning: they may not be
>> light reading material and nevertheless are food for thought.
>>
>> Jetspeed Cornerstone Concepts
>> http://www.bluesunrise.com/jetspeed-docs/cornerstone-concepts.pdf
>>
>> Jetspeed Cornerstone Presentation
>> http://www.bluesunrise.com/jetspeed-docs/CornerstoneFramework2.pdf (PDF)
>> http://www.bluesunrise.com/jetspeed-docs/CornerstoneFramework2.ppt
>> (PowerPoint)
>>
>> Any comments and questions are welcome.  Another document "Jetspeed
>> Cornerstone Sample Code" will follow soon with runnable demo package.
>>
>> Jun
>>
>> Hello Jun:
>>
>> J2-Cornerstone is very interesting. Two questions:
>>    1) Have you thought of making HiveMind an implementation variant
>> of j2-cornerstone with HiveMind service extend Cornerstone BaseService.
>

> Yes, Cornerstone is can implement other service frameworks and give
> them complete configurability (in 4 dimensions: components,
> relationships, control flows and preservation of customization across
> upgrades).  Yes, HiveMind services can be implemented either as
> Cornerstone services (by extending BaseService) or as completely
> different services (by implementing e.g. a HiveMindServiceManager that
> creates HiveMind services).  And better yet, Cornerstone services and
> HiveMind servivces can coexist without interfering each other.  This
> shows how general Cornerstone is (with a high abstraction level).  I
> don't know if the reverse (implementing Cornerstone with HiveMind) can
> be done or not.

That is why I find J2-Cornerstone is interesting and will spend some
time on it. Your vision of mass customization and component assembling
is very real. I am 100% in it.

>>    2) Have you thought of making Commons-Chain as a cornerstone
>> ServiceController.
>

> Sure.  That would be a great example of how Cornerstone allows you to
> implement your own service controllers, however different it may be.

Expert best practice advices are required here.

>> Any thought on the combining J2-Cornerstone + HiveMind + Commons-Chain?
>

> We can certainly look into it.  However, I think different frameworks
> are designed for different purposes and thus each has its own reason
> of existence.

The key is to get the best features of different frameworks for
different jobs (best practice), while remain totally flexible. Open
source become an exiting place to work.

BaTien
DBGROUPS