From "Barnhill William" <barnhill_will...@bah.com>
Subject Re: Service and Component Frameworks
Date Sat, 29 Nov 2003 19:09:38 GMT
David,

I went to the first URL. Great resource!

 From reading it and associated URLs it seems that HiveMind is for total
fluidity and Avalon is for total IoC,  almost two extremes along an
axis. Based on my experience total freedom is giving most people enough
rope to hang themselves.  But, I've used Avalon and haven't used
HiveMind. I like the IoC pattern a lot, but it does sometimes get in the
way, especially for very small utilitarian components.  Seems like a
balance could be struck, perhaps Avalon with Eclipse style extension
points? I also have not used Cornerstone, this may be exactly what they
did.

As for AOP, I can see where it could have benefits. You can hear the
'but' coming, can't you? From what I've seen, and based on a recent
article you can do pretty much everything AOP can do with delegators.
Delegators is perhaps wrong term, someone feel free to correct me with
the right term, dynamic proxies perhaps?.  I think the article was in
Java Developer's Journal.

The biggest drawback to AOP, for me, is security. I explain to any
security auditor that the binary code is rewritten on the fly as the
classes are loaded and they will fail it right then and there.  Perhaps
if there wasn't an alternative AOP would have a bigger draw, but I've
broached AOP with other engineers from other companies in my
environment.  They have all said that the security implications would be
a show stopper for using AOP.

Not considering Cornerstone, as I've never used it, I would say Avalon
is the best of a bad set of service frameworks. I know the Avalon folks
have worked well with the Cocoon folks, maybe they would work with us if
someone drew up a list of exactly how Avalon doesn't meet our current
needs (and by implication a list of what exactly our needs are in a
service framework). I truly hope Jetspeed stays away from AOP, as it
will rule out Jetspeed's use by many engineers.

Just my half-penny. Not two cents as I'm still very new to Jetspeed2,
Bill Barnhill