From Jun Yang <juny...@cisco.com>
Subject Re: Service and Component Frameworks
Date Fri, 28 Nov 2003 01:10:32 GMT
In the Jetspeed Cornerstone Concepts paper, we have a number of
Comparison to Other Work boxes for the purpose of comparing it with
other (unamed) frameworks and pointing out the unique features of
Cornerstone.  We attempted at a comprehensive comparison with Hivemind,
Spring and Pico Container and found it too difficult because it requires
much more than superficial knowledge of those frameworks.  It will be a
great thing if experts of those frameworks can contribute their views.
Thanks!

Jun

BaTien Duong wrote:

> This is exciting. A technical comparision with other opensource
> frameworks such as Hivemind and Pico container by the author(s) of
> Jetspeed Cornerstone may be helpfull. Will the author(s) care to give
> a subjective rating on the maturity of different frameworks?
>
> I will find some time to look at the source codes.
>
> BaTien
> DBGROUPS
>
> Jun Yang wrote:
>
>> Here are links to the Cornerstone docs.  Warning: they may not be
>> light reading material and nevertheless are food for thought.
>>
>> Jetspeed Cornerstone Concepts
>> http://www.bluesunrise.com/jetspeed-docs/cornerstone-concepts.pdf
>>
>> Jetspeed Cornerstone Presentation
>> http://www.bluesunrise.com/jetspeed-docs/CornerstoneFramework2.pdf (PDF)
>> http://www.bluesunrise.com/jetspeed-docs/CornerstoneFramework2.ppt
>> (PowerPoint)
>>
>> Any comments and questions are welcome.  Another document "Jetspeed
>> Cornerstone Sample Code" will follow soon with runnable demo package.
>>
>> Jun
>>
>> David Sean Taylor wrote:
>>
>>> Im starting a little informal thread discussing Service and
>>> Component Frameworks.
>>>
>>> Currently we are using Fulcrum in Jetspeed-2.
>>> While I do like Fulcrum and it has been very useful for us, there
>>> are now more advanced service frameworks available.
>>> All services in J2 are implemented as Common Portlet Services. The
>>> goal of CPS was to act as a layer so that we could more easily swap
>>> out Fulcrum in the future. I think that time has come and we need to
>>> start reviewing the other frameworks and make a decision.
>>>
>>> The frameworks we have considering are:
>>>
>>> 1. Hivemind
>>> 2. Pico Container
>>> 3. Jetspeed Cornerstone (not to be confused with Avalon Cornerstone)