From Patrick Chanezon <Patrick.Chane...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [portlets] Re: Client Side Scripting - new DOM?
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:08:58 GMT
Punit,
I think you're mixing things up.

W3C DOM <http://www.w3.org/DOM/> is:
"a platform- and language-neutral interface that will allow programs and
scripts to dynamically access and update the content, structure and
style of documents. The document can be further processed and the
results of that processing can be incorporated back into the presented
page."

JSR 168 <http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=168>, is just a java
specification for server side java components
"To enable interoperability between Portlets and Portals, this
specification will define a set of APIs for Portal computing addressing
the areas of aggregation, personalization, presentation and security."

These specifications do not play a role in the same layer in a Portal
architecture, and they are very different in nature.

If you want to do some client side scripting in your Portal, you can do
so, by having your Portal server and Portlets generate the right
javascript and XHTML, and adding a javascript library that will mind the
gap between client side and server side processing, maybe using a
command pattern for state changes, and certainly using a naming
convention, or XPath, for mapping server side elements to client side
DOM elements. Even with that you'd have to create some Portal server
specific commands and maybe control servlet on the server side, to
process your client side commands, because the current rev of JSR 168
doesn't address aggregation.
However, I haven't seen enough implementation of this kind of
architecture to mandate a standardization of its components.

The best thing to do if you want to see this kind of architecture taking
off today is to create some code that implements it :-)
A good first step in this direction is David Sean Taylor's drag and drop
customizer for Jetspeed
<http://www.mail-archive.com/jetspeed-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg10242.html>,
announced in the list 3 weeks ago.
But as you'll see in the mails, it's specific to the Jetspeed Portal,
and works only on IE6 and a recent Moz: devil's in the details :-)

P@

PS: congrats for http://portlets.blogspot.com/
It's a good start, and I look forward to see more content coming to it.
You should have a RSS feed for it though.

--
Patrick Chanezon, Sun ONE Portal Server - Software Architect
Sun Microsystems - http://www.chanezon.com/pat

"Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes."
E.W. Dijkstra