From David Le Strat <dlest...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Service and Component Frameworks
Date Sat, 29 Nov 2003 16:44:02 GMT
All,

There is a lot of good info comparing the differences
between frameworks at:

http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/Architecture_2fKernel

Regarding Hivemind, Howard gave a presentation a while
back, some more info on Hivemind can be found at:
http://www.mail-archive.com/jetspeed-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg08269.html

It is a neat framework and hopefully the intellectual
property issue will be resolved soon.  I especially
like the clean interceptor model.  The substitution
model would also be quite handy to create clean
separated modules and substitute common configuration
from a central configuration point. Finally Hivedoc is
quite nice in providing a clear picture of the
dependencies between modules.

Another interesting approach (which is the approach
taken by ExoPortal for instance) would be to combine
AOP with Pico container or Avalon (Merlin seems to be
the recommended service framework).

Lots of choices out there.

What would be the key features that we would be
looking for?

Regards,

David.