From "Stijn de Witt" <Stijn.deW...@bergland-it.nl>
Subject Re: Jetspeed 1 and 2 questions
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 16:08:00 GMT
> > Can anyone shed some light on what to do (or don't) if developing for
> > Jetspeed 1, to keep the upgrade path to Jetspeed 2 simple...?
>
> Follow a loose coupling model.  Try and keep as much of your business
logic out of the components that are tightly bound to Jetspeed 1.

Ok, that makes sense.. :p

> My approach has always been to:
>
> - NEVER create a portlet class, just use the GenericMVCPortlet along with
>   portlet action.
> - Keep portlet actions as small possible.  Eventually, we will have
special
>   adapter class(es) that you will be able to drop on top of existing J1
>   portlets.  However, the "best practice" approach would be to move your
>   portlet action's logic straight into a JSR-168 portlet.  This should be
>   relatively simple if you keep the actions lightweight.

Do you mean that when I move my code to Jetspeed 2, I take the actions for
the GenericMVCPortlet and put them in a new class which descends from some
base Jetspeed 2 portlet?

> - Use a service model as it will be very easy to move current Jetspeed
>   (fulcrum) into a portlet app using the stand-alone Fulcrum framework.

Thanks for your quick reaction Scott!

Greetings, Stijn