From Jan Grant <Jan.Gr...@bristol.ac.uk>
Subject Re: single sign-on with tomcat4
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:01:45 GMT
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, michal urbanski wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm hoping this is the correct forum to be asking these questions; if
> jetspeed-user is more appropriate, please let me know.
>
> Has anyone gotten jetspeed (I'm using 1.4b4) working with tomcat's
> single sign-on mechanism?
>
> I'm trying to embed different webapps' views in portlets, but
> authentication using all of the different system is leading to some
> pretty nasty situations. Ideally, I'd like jetspeed to auth the user,
> then have that auth carry over into the different webapps being
> presented through the portlets.
>
> Getting half of this working wasn't difficult...  I've changed the form
> on login.vm to send the data through tomcat4, and that works correctly.
> I've made what I feel are the necessary changes to web.xml to protect
> everything under jetspeed/portal, and to refer to the appropriate login
> page. However, once login is done, I can't jetspeed both recognize the
> new credentials and forward to the portal itself.
>
> I've changed Turbine's DefaultTurbineRunData.getUserFromSession() to get
> the correct user, but forwarding still doesn't work. Any
> ideas/suggestions?

If you figure out "the right way" to do this I'd be interested. We've
got an SSO mechanism (much like shibboleth, it's Athens' SSO mechanism)
working with a jetspeed-based portal. The way we got this to work was
via an intercepting filter that wraps around the jetspeed servlet, in
combination with a plug-in API to let us "drop in" early interception
behaviour.

Get in touch off-list and I'll pull out the bits and pieces. If you can
tidy it up you're welcome to donate it to the effort.

Leverage that synergy! Ooh yeah, looking good! Now stretch - and relax.