From Prabhu Kapaleeswaran <PKapaleeswa...@ifc.org>
Subject Re: Jetspeed2 development
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2003 21:56:15 GMT
Greetings !!

Just to give you a small brief of what we are trying to discuss. This will
bring us both to a same pace.

A typical rule system has 3 things
1. Rules
2. Facts
3. Agenda

The rules are typically defined by a business manager which say something
like if the user.age > 60 and user.sex = male then show him the discounts
on male items such as a walking stick etc etc.

During runtime when a user comes in, this is actually compared to this
rule and the execution happens. The actual process is done through a RETE
(comb) network (I guess if you search for Charles Forgy, you could get
more information). Drool as well as JESS are implementation of RETE.

We can do a small portlet which uses the user data structure to go into a
rule based system and show advertisements or some kind of personalized
message particular this user. We can do this by either integrating to an
existing RETE or building a new RETE.

We can provide hooks to these engines from jetspeed definitely. What I
dont understand is what do you mean when you say runtime and deployment ?

I am not sure if you are talking about making a framework to capacitate
the hooking and people to use this engine.

Cheers
Prabu K

PS : Sorry if my reply seems to be too academic, I just wanted to
understand your point of view before we can get started on anything.

David Le Strat <dlestrat@yahoo.com>
10/23/2003 10:39 AM
Please respond to "Jetspeed Developers List"