From "Tim Reilly" <tim.rei...@consultant.com>
Subject RE: [JETSPEED 2] Choosing a component framework/micro-kernel
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2003 05:48:38 GMT
May be a dumb question, but is it possible to combine Avalon and Hivemind?

The configuration, service-point, interceptor, etc - paradigm
is very appealing to me.

Let's say you have a usage reporting requirement.
Your marketing department wants real-time stats so they can track campaigns
in real-time
so you implement a "web-bug"/"hidden-pixel" strategy.
Just an example, but your portlet calls a usage logging service. The service
sets up data in the request
for your jsp tags to use during the rendering of the portlet, which adds the
pixel/bug and parameters.

This works fine except a few months later you find out your legal department
has a compliance requirement and
needs the same/similar data, but they need it in common log format and must
be generated on the server,
not derived from data from the original solution.

You create a different service implementation and then configure the service
container to use serviceimpl1, serviceimpl2
or both serviceimpl1 and serviceimpl2

Perhaps the example isn't great, but hopefully the idea comes across.
What I see with hivemind this could easily be "configured-in".
I don't know much about Avalon, but my concern/question is whether or not
Avalon precludes this level of
flexibility or not?

On the general topic; asking for some input from Avalon and Hivemind
contributors may not be
a bad idea.
I recall some commons discussions where H.L. Ship (Hivemind et al) was very
level about why one would
use one over the other (e.g. not over selling - Hivemind over Avalon, just
describing the diff's and reason
for the project when Avalon exists)

I'll see if I can find the post again, if anyone wishes?

Regards
-TR