From "Glenn R. Golden" <ggol...@umich.edu>
Subject [Pluto] the driver and the container
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2003 18:17:43 GMT
I'm starting to stare at Pluto.  It's got it's little "driver" portal
in there as well as it's reference implementation of the 168 Portlet
Container.  I'm trying to figure out which parts go where.

For Jetspeed, we will use just the container, not the driver, right?

Pluto wraps a servlet around each portlet that is deployed.  More, it
lets sets of portlets be deployed in their own .war file forming their
own separate web application in Tomcat.  Separate web applications have
separate servlet context, class loader, etc.  This seems to be part of
the portlet spec, but I'm not sure.

Will Jetspeed do the wrapping of servlet around portlet and have each
portlet app br a separate web application like Pluto does?

Is this part of the throw away driver or the core container?

I think it  may be a cool way to accomplish separate webapps for
portlets, but I'm still thinking about it...

Thanks.

- Glenn