From "Glenn R. Golden" <ggol...@umich.edu>
Subject [Pluto] basic architecture
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 02:08:14 GMT
This is my current understanding of a 168 Pluto based portal
implementation, I just want to see if I'm on a boat with any other
passengers here...

The whole thing (Portal, Portlets, Servlets, Jsp, etc) is running in a
Java Servlet/Jsp Web application server (i.e. Tomcat).

The entire Portal is one webapp.  It has it's own folder under
tomcat/webapps, and the standard isolation from other webapps.

The Portlets that will be running in the portal are in one or more
other webapps.  Sets of portlets live in a webapp, along with
(optionally) some servlets, jsp, static content, etc.  There may be
many sets of portlets, each in a different webapp.  Each with it's own
.war, folder under tomcat/webapps, isolation from other webapps, etc.

The Portal Administrator installs the portal webapp.  She installs each
webapp of sets of portlets that will be available (probably via tools
in the portal).  She informs the portal (somehow) of the existence of
these sets of portlets in these other webapps.  Then she uses the
portal tools to configure the portal pages, etc.

Different webapp sets of portlets are running in their own class
loader, so jar versions and static classes are not in conflict between
them.  Also, they cannot share static classes, such as common services
(such as provided by Pluto or Turbine or Avalon).  As a request is
processed, and a servlet context request dispatcher is used to pass the
pen from one portlet to another to aggregate the response, the servlet
request *is* common, and anything placed in there (such as a service
manager) would be shared by all the portlets even across different
webapps.  [I'm a little blurry on this whole point.]

Yes?

If I'm close here, then...

I wonder if there's a way for the Portal to query the "tomcat" to get
the list of available portlets, so that we can just drop in a (properly
prepared) .war and the portal knows it's there?

Is there a way to have a common Avalon-ish service framework among all
webapps, or are they kept separated?

Thanks.

- Glenn