From Serge Huber <shub...@jahia.com>
Subject Re: jakarta-jetspeed-2 CVS
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:29:53 GMT
At 11:13 AM 7/29/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>One quick question while I'm at it : I didn't find the code that filters
>the output of the portlet into the buffer (as seen in the request JPG) ?
>Can you point me to it ?
>Well we haven't (ahem) implemented buffering or caching or multi-threaded
>aggregation yet
>(although Raphael has something started there I believe....;-)
>Everything is going straight out the servlet stream right now
>As I said, the code is still very early in the development cycle

hehe that's cool... Now that the code is open more people can help. I sure
hope I can find some time soon to get working on the project as I have been
involved with Jetspeed in my previous company but it didn't fit the bill
for my current one, at least Jetspeed 1 didn't. I hope that if Jetspeed 2
can be integrated in my current project then I will be able to contribute
more time, and therefore more code... But talk is cheap, only actions will
tell what I will do :)

Anyway I could help on the caching since I have done some work on it for my
project. The multi-threaded aggregation is another problem, and it seems
more problematic as full copies of HttpServletRequest and
HttpServletResponse would be needed, and I'm not sure how well the
RequestDispatcher handles multiple threads dispatching (does this work with
Tomcat ? How portable is it ?).

One quick question while I'm at it : I am mostly interested in Jetspeed 2's
backend services (basically I would use my own aggregation system). What's
the best way to integrate with an alternate aggregator ? Valves ? Basically
the flow I'm looking at is this : myServlet -> myAggregator -> Jetspeed 2
Portlet dispatch. Any suggestions ?

>There is lots of work to be done, and your contributions are very welcome!
>In fact I think there will be a lot of credible people willing to work on
>the project.
>We still have to go through the same process in voting committers in, but
>patches are welcome

No problem for patches. I ask people for patches first in my project too so
it's cool starting there. I actually think the Apache contribution process
is a reasonable one so I'm willing to start low :)

But in order to start I do need a compiling Jetspeed 2.. I must say you've
added pressure on IBM to commit Pluto now by releasing the source code to
Jetspeed 2. I think it's great that IBM is contributing their code, and I
fully understand that they have issues to resolve both legal and quality-wise.

Regards,
   Serge Huber.

- -- --- -----=[ shuber2 at jahia dot com ]=---- --- -- -
www.jahia.org : A collaborative source CMS and Portal Server