From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: mailportlet v0.2 - Jetspeed 2 comments
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 18:05:20 GMT

On Tuesday, July 29, 2003, at 09:19  AM, Ender Hikmet KILIÇOÐLU wrote:

> Here is new mailportlet and now with source code. May be the first
> commitment to portletforge.net :)
>
> Its taken some times. I had some overtimes for it but I have bad
> feelings
> because of some demotivation factors like some unclear infos about
> jetspeed
> 2. I hope in a short time jetspeed 2 project will start and again we
> will
> create a synergy on this channel.
>
> I have some question
> Pluto source code will be closed? (I am working with Wepshpere portal
> and I
> feel as on a jail. I like Jetspeed because you can control
> everything..)

The Pluto source will not be closed!
Its a matter of timing now.
I believe that IBM will donate the code as soon as they feel its ready
Its their decision, since they are donating it

> All turbine related codes will be dismissed?

Its just a separation of concerns, the portlet applications and portal
will not be so closely coupled
The Portal itself will not use Turbine, but I think that Turbine is a
great tool for developing portlet applications
It will be easier to port existing portlets that use Turbine to a
turbine-based portlet applications
I think Struts portlet applications will take some infrastructure work
first, but Struts portlets also have great potential

> When jetspeed 2 will be available and at this time design will be
> finished
> already or our can we participate with our feedbacks.
> JS 1 will be still alive or what?

JS1 is still available and since it is so full of features and
stability, still a very good choice
JS2 is still under-development and not usable in production at this
early in the development cycle

> What is the IBM role? only a helpfull commiter or owner of project?

IBM has written the RI portlet container, Pluto
Once Pluto is in the CVS, I assume they will have committers on the
project

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software