From "Jeremy Ford" <caius1...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: How to display a portlet that's not in a user's psml
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2003 15:55:06 GMT
I haven't tried adding the portlet to the top vm yet, but this is what I
have experienced with the portlet preview in the customizer.  If I go into
the customizer and preview the HelloVelocity portlet, I see its content
fine.  However, if I try to change the value of the message, I get an
exception I believe (working from memory here).  From what I remember, a
portlet will try to save customizeable data in the psml so that it can be
unique to each individual.  Since there's no psml, the HelloVelocity portlet
has trouble running its action.

So, by active, I mean, "Can I run the associated action with a portlet
outside of a psml context?".  In the case of the ChangeLanguage portlet, it
has no associated action, so I belive that this would be fine.  However,
other portlets might have trouble.

The more I think about it, maybe a portlet outside of a psml isn't the way
to go...

Jeremy Ford