From EP...@upstate.com
Subject RE: [OT] Php portal server
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2003 15:56:10 GMT
Could you deploy the site on the same server that hosts the Scarab
installation (I think nagoya?).  It would definitly be a big feather to be
selfhosting!

Eric Pugh

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Orciuch [mailto:mark_orciuch@ngsltd.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 10:56 AM
To: Jetspeed Developers List
Subject: RE: [OT] Php portal server

> One of the problems with Jetspeed (that the PHP based systems have a very
> nice solution for) is a module repository.  This mailing list is full of
> comments from people mentioning a portlet they have written.  But these
> portlets are not easily accessible to others (maybe they don't want them
> to be, but hopefully, someone does), there doesn't seem to be any
> Jetspeed Portlet Repository, the only easily accessible portlets are the
> ones commited in CVS.  The PHP based portals often solve this by having a

Jetspeed Portlet Repository is a good idea which is coming up more and more
lately. IMHO current portlet deployment model doesn't support "portlet
plugins" very well. Ideally, you would want something similar to IBM's .par
files, which  is something that may be supported in the next generation
jetspeed.

I suppose that you could currently packgage all required portlet resources
(.xreg, .jars, templates) into an archive which could be manually expanded.

> downloader-module, where you can upload and download files.  Which I guess
> is another important point:  The Jetspeed project page is not
> running Jetspeed
> itself.  I guess it's just not quite there yet...

"Self-hosting" of Jetspeed is an idea I toyed with for a while, but
jakarta.apache project currently limits you to static html :(

Best regards,

Mark Orciuch - morciuch@apache.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/