From EP...@upstate.com
Subject RE: [OT] Php portal server
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2003 14:44:44 GMT
I definitly agree with the commetns on the portal repository.

Getting a portal to work is very labor intensive, requiring a bunch of
files.  I would love to just be able to drop a .jar file in a specific
directory, restart jetspeed, and have that portal ready for use.  But
instead we need various .xreg files, template files, and java classes.

Plugins are one of the ways people can start developing and contributing to
jetspeed, without accessing the core cvs etc.

Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Eivind Tagseth [mailto:eivindt-jetspeed@multinet.no]
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 9:46 AM
To: Jetspeed Developers List
Subject: Re: [OT] Php portal server

* David Sean Taylor <david@bluesunrise.com> [030224 21:41]:
> On Saturday, February 22, 2003, at 08:56  PM, Mingfai Ma wrote:

> >I realize the portal servers or community systems that are written in
> >Php
> >seem to be more mature. I browsed a few sites powered by Xoops and
> >they're
> >powerful. And I also know about some good open source php cms.

I've been trying to get a good overview on the different portal servers
lately, and have to agree.  Most of the PHP-based portal/blog/forum-servers
seem very mature out of the box and have a thriving community writing lots
of modules (portlets).  This, inspite of there not being a standard API
for modules between the different portal products.  The products look really
well, and work very well out of the box.

I'm sure there are several reasons for this.  Certainly, PHP is really easy
to get started with, IMO much easier than Java.  The consequences are both
positive and negative.  On the other hand, there are lots and lots of good
open source java developers out there, so why aren't these making lots of
cool portlets for Jetspeed?

> >I guess we can copy the features from those php portal, what do you
> >think?
> Or integrate directly with them.

That would be very interesting.  If we could come up with a way to add a
e.g. xoops-module into Jetspeed as a Jetspeed portlet, the amount of
functionality in Jetspeed would increase enormously.  I'm not sure if this
is possible though.

> Im not sure if you are writing to someone in particular, but I'd just
> like to say that with portlet standardization coming soon, Jetspeed
> will soon benefit from working in a standard-based world.
> As a committer, I am currently not interested in writing those portlets
> at this time. Im more interested in writing a solid engine to drive the
> standard portlets first.

And this is what makes Jetspeed really interesting IMO.  The PHP-portals may
look nice and mature, but that's until you want to do specialized things
with
them.  They are not using a template based layout system, in order to change
the appearance you may end up changing code deep into the system (the theme
systems offers some easily accessible presentation logic, but I don't think
it's very pretty, and it was not enough to fulfill my needs.).  A velocity-
based Jetspeed system seems much more tempting to me.

One of the problems with Jetspeed (that the PHP based systems have a very
nice solution for) is a module repository.  This mailing list is full of
comments from people mentioning a portlet they have written.  But these
portlets are not easily accessible to others (maybe they don't want them
to be, but hopefully, someone does), there doesn't seem to be any
Jetspeed Portlet Repository, the only easily accessible portlets are the
ones commited in CVS.  The PHP based portals often solve this by having a
downloader-module, where you can upload and download files.  Which I guess
is another important point:  The Jetspeed project page is not running
Jetspeed
itself.  I guess it's just not quite there yet...

Eivind