From "Weaver, Scott" <Swea...@rippe.com>
Subject RE: My idea and implementation about 'portlet category'
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2002 12:59:47 GMT
You could specify default categories for individual portlet types (RSS, OCS, etc.).  Then,
when a portlet is dynamically created, automatically assign the pre-determined category for
that portlet type to the new portlet.

Example: all dynamically created OCS feeds get the initial category of "OCS Feed".

A more advanced and possibly more effective way would be through a simple event model.  You
could register listeners for each specific portlet type.  When a portlet is created, a message
is sent to all listeners that includes the type of portlet created and the event type, at
this point only "Created".  The correct event listener would then proceed to due whatever
it needs to, in this case, it would create category entrty(ies) for the new portlet entry.
 The benefit of using the event model is that it would allow us to be more specific in terms
of categorizing an entry than just tying in a default category.  Then event listener could
inspect the contents (data, headlines, titles, etc) of the new portlet and create category
entries based on those contents.

Just some ideas,
Scott