From "Weaver, Scott" <Swea...@rippe.com>
Subject RE: OJB based security service, any thoughts?
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2002 14:43:22 GMT
Hi David,

Until the JDO implementation within OJB becomes release-quality, I would like to wait.  However,
changing from PB or ODMG to JDO within OJB is very straight forward since you only have to
change the logic in the classes but the mappings in the repository stay the same.  Even with
that said, I'm really excited about using the JDO layer in OJB.

> My vote is +1 on using OJB over Torque in the next version, but I believe
> we
> shouldn't make this change in 1.4 since it may break a lot of applications
> based on 1.4.

Do you mean breaking user-apps based on Jetspeed or the actual base Jetspeed itself?  I thought
the abstraction through the new security implementation prevented just this type of situation.

Could we offer the option of an OJB-based impl. along side the Torque one?  Maybe, get people
used to the OJB stuff early-on by choice and not by force.  We could also add an ant task
to build a .war with OJB support and leave the default war option to Torque.

Am I making any sense or am I just babbling like an idiot ;)

Scott