From "Luta, Raphael (VUN)" <Raphael.L...@groupvu.Com>
Subject RE: Parallel-processing stuff (cont. from j-user)
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2002 13:06:38 GMT
De : Josh Hone [mailto:icsad@hotmail.com]

> >So if I understand correctly what you have implemented is shared
> >contexts between portlets that share a same "scope" as defined within
> >the portlet registry. Correct ?
> >

> Yes.  Another helpful way to think of it is that you are
> applying filters
> between the Context and the portlets, so that you can say
> "portlet A should
> interact with B but not C or D".  So then the information
> that gets put into
> the Context by a submission of a Velocity form updates the
> logic of some
> portlets, depending on whether the information sharing should
> or should not
> take place.
>
> >Adding a "portlet group" scope would enable a related set of portlets
> >to automatically share these tools in a common context between these
> >portlets
>
> Yes, and I think that the XML structure provided by the GGF
> working group on
> workflow is the information language to use when implementing this in
> Jetspeed.  This can help people, for example, to develop
> patches of useful
> portlets that work together.  How they work together can be
> defined in the
> workflow ML, so that people can submit mini-apps to deploy
> within Jetspeed.

I'm not sure the workflow markup is the way to go for now for a simple
reason: this concern is probably going to be standardized by the Portlet
API in the JCP process and I'd rather like to encourage users to use
the Portel API compliant version of Jetspeed as fast as possible.

>From a purely technical point of view it may be the way to go but I don't
know enough on this workflow structure to have a real opinion now, I'll
have to do my homework first :)

--
Raphaƫl Luta - raphael@apache.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/