From "Ocean Dong" <od...@sh.symbidia.com>
Subject My idea and implementation about 'portlet category'
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2002 04:04:41 GMT
Jetspeed1.4 has introduced 'category' idea for portlet, but i feel current design, implementation
and use of portlet category seems a little ambiguous. My company is working on jetspeed, and
i redesign and implement portlet category function. There are two main desicion i have made:

1, portlet's category info should be separeted from portlet's self definition(in the xreg
file)
2, admin is (and common user may also be) able to customize the whole category info hierarchy
by logging into jetspeed.

As a result, i has designed a simple xml schema to store category info, provided a turbine
service for read/write category info, wrote a special portlet to manage category info, and
changed the jetspeed customizer a little for adding the support of category when selecting
portlets.

The design and implementation is simple and unmature, but i think the basic idea is helpful.
if anyone (especially contributors of jetspeed) is interested in what i have done, please
refer to http://rd.sh.symbidia.com/~ocean/en/work.htm. I hope that can be contributed to jetspeed
source.

thanx a lot!