From "Mark Orciuch" <mark_orci...@ngsltd.com>
Subject Confused about portlet permissions
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2002 21:48:39 GMT
I've been trying to find some comprehensive resource on usage of portlet
permissions. I could not find any so I dug thru the code and here are some
of my comments:

View - used by the security manager to determine whether you can view
content of a portlet. OK.

Customize - you must have this permission for a portlet in order to see it
on the selection list and also to get the customize icon for the portlet.
Doesn't make sense to me - so you can select portlet but if you don't have
View permission, then you cannot view it. Perhaps View permission should
determine whether you can select the portlet?

Maximize - you get the maximize functionality. OK.

Minimize - you get the minimize functionality. OK.

Personalize - what's that used for? Would it make sense that this permission
allows to enter the customizer?

Info - displays information about the portlet? VelocityPortletControl seems
to use this if Customize is not granted. But if Customize is not granted,
then you cannot select the portlet and therefore you can never see this
functionality. Am I off base here?

Close - allows to temporarily close the portlet. Once you log back in the
closed portlet should be restored, right? OK.

Detach - doesn't seem to be implemented?

Would someone care to comment on my observations. I don't have any problem
in getting involved in documenting this once it's explained and makes sense
to everyone.

Best regards,

Mark C. Orciuch
Next Generation Solutions, Ltd.