From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: Users and Groups
Date Fri, 31 May 2002 12:11:49 GMT
Glenn Golden wrote:

>Ok, the "turbine thing" in all this is that it provides a triplet mapping:
>
>User - Group - Role.
>
>To say that User U has role R in group G.
>
>So, "member" is a Role, and by giving a user this Member Role * IN A GROUP *
>that covers what I am looking for, I think!

see the bottom for how I think it is to be understood.

>I also remember that Jetspeed assumes just one Group, the one called
>"Jetspeed".  I need to change this so that we have full multiple group
>support.  Anybody worried about this?

This is a mess. I have a patch to change some of the assumptions by
TurbineSecurity.getGlobalGroup(), and others by Profile.getGroup() since
turbine hardwires the global group to be called global, and it is the
group it will use for most of the API if no group is specified.

This patch is next on my list of patched to be sent here for review.
Look for it in a couple hours.

>- Glenn

Turbine seems to understand a group more as a "group of pages/resources"
than as a group of users. This is the reason why users have a role "in a
given group". The concept seems to be more similar to the HTTP Realm
than to anything else. I.E., it is the context for a
User->Role->Permission mapping.