From raphael.l...@networks.groupvu.com
Subject Re: Connection between JSR 168, JetSpeed and IBM?
Date Tue, 07 May 2002 19:17:02 GMT
Endre Stølsvik wrote:

>| >I can't seem to find archives for that old messages anywhere. The
>covalent
>| >archives are apparently down or something. The mbox archives @
>| >http://jakarta.apache.org/mail/jetspeed-dev/ start at March 2001. Google
>| >doesn't give me any hints. Were the lists called something else at that
>| >time?
>| >

>| Yes, it's true. At that time the maiiling-list was
>| jetspeed@list.working-dogs.com.
>| You can find the archive at:
>|
>| http://www.mail-archive.com/jetspeed@list.working-dogs.com/
>
>This archive apparently doesn't go earlier than 2000-12-31, that is, new
>years 2000/2001! Do you have any idea where October 2000 to 2000-12-31 are?
>
>(Basically, what I'm wondering about is the IBM involvment. The german dudes
>from IBM's "pervasive computing division", are they primarily involved with
>Jetspeed in a professional or private setting? It seems like it at some
>point definately turned professional, since IBM WebSphere Portal implements
>the proposed Portlet API. But did it start out professional too? In
>addition, I wonder about the Porlet API as a whole. Is basically a
>contribution from IBM, or is it developed as a truly joint effort between
>Apache's Jetspeed group and IBM?)

 From my understanding of IBM position, the involvement of Thomas, Ingo,
Stephan was
professional. They proposed an initial Portlet API, which we discussed
somewhat and modified
a little mainly to add SAX support and talk about the PAR files (if I
remember correctly we reached
an agreement near february/march 2001 so this makes it the most
interesting read in the archives).

They then contributed an implementation of the Portlet API that
currently sits "portlet_api" branch of
Jetspeed. I'm currently evaluating how to integrate smoothly some (most)
of the work done in this
branch in the current Jetspeed context.

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael.luta@networks.groupvu.com