From "Endre Stolsvik" <En...@Stolsvik.com>
Subject Re: Portlet API re-implementation
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 08:55:07 GMT
| The burrito satisfies the Portlet API for the Portlet class, and for all
| users of the Portlet classes, while preserving the multi-user nature of
all
| three of the ingredients.  The same Portlet class object can be in
multiple
| burritos at the same time, will not be modified an any way by any one.  In
| each burrito, the Portlet class object will have different instance and
| registration information.
|
| In the same way, the Portlet Registration objects and the Portlet Instance
| objects might as well be kept around and used over and over again, rather
| that re-built for each request.
|
| All three are essentially read-only, except for the Portlet Instance which
| support updates, then the update is used from then on.

Have you  read and analysed the "new API", and preferrably also the "Portlet
Programming Guide" for IBM's _new-new_ version of the Jetspeed API? Because
that's the whole idea in both of those, but read my earlier emails. I would
love if Rapahel Luta would comment too..

There is a concept of a Portlet class instance (which there are only one if,
confer Servlets). Then, portlet class instance + PortletSettings object make
up the Concrete Portlet. Portlet Settings are parameters from the
administartor. He might make several PortletSettings objects with different
parameters, thus making several concrete portlets from one portlet. (And
mind you, you might also make several Portlets from one class file, as you
can with Servlets).

Then, concrete portlet + PortletData makes the Concrete Portlet Instance.
PortletData is per-user-per-page data (I think..?). The PortletData can only
be changed by the portlet itself. The Concrete Portlet Instances "lives" on
the pages of user, obviously..

Then, concrete portlet instance + PortletSession makes User Portlet
Instance. This is "one servicing" of a portlet. The PortletSession stores
transient data used for ONE rendering of the portlet.

Hope I understood you somewhat correctly..

Endre.