From Glenn Golden <ggol...@umich.edu>
Subject RE: Portlet Caching problem
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2002 05:08:51 GMT

What do you mean by getInstance() here? I don't see it in
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.Portlet now...

I've been thinking about the relationship between the Entry (from the psml
file, an om? Peer? Class) and Portlet... If the Profiler loaded docs in such
as way as to make the Entrys available, then instead of copying the Entry
info into the Portlet, we could so some pointing...

I think we need to carefully look at / rethink the three services: Profiles,
JetspeedPortletFactoryService, and JetspeedPortalToolkitService.  Profiler
provides the psml doc, tooklit service creates a portlet set, and uses the
factory and its caching to get Portlet objects.

* * *

My tests tonight confirm that the caching is improperly (as far as peid and
meta is concerned) reusing Portlet objects, and that if the portal page +
peid is made part of the cache handle, this reuse stops.  This may be more
severe than we want, and a re-org of the three services involved may produce
a much more efficient and correct situation.

Also noticed that the PortletWrapper objects are not cached, and are being
created and used once and thrown away for each wrapped portlet.  Messy.

- Glenn

ggolden@umich.edu               734-615-1419
http://www-personal.si.umich.edu/~ggolden/