From Glenn Golden <ggol...@umich.edu>
Subject RE: Portlet Caching problem
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2002 01:14:45 GMT
Here's what I think we CAN cache re: portlets.

We can cache a Portlet object that is associated with a portlet instance.  A
"portlet instance" is one placement of a portlet on a particular portal
page.  Each portlet instance now has a unique (within a portal page) id.

The information from the registry for the portlet (parameters), for the
portlet and all parents, and the information from the psml (more or override
parameters) can all be part of the cached Portlet object.

When any of this information changes, due to a re-load of the registry, or a
customization of the portlet on the page, we must invalidate this object
from the cache!

Two of the same portlets on the same page need to have different Portal
objects (these have different peids, at least, and maybe different psml
parameters).

Two of the same portlets on different portal pages need to have different
Portal objects as well, for the same reason.

A cached Portlet object could be reused for subsequent page requests, and
for page requests from other users viewing the same page.  And only this -
any other use of the portlet would be a different portlet instance and need
a different Portlet object.

So, a good handle for caching of one of these Portlet objects would be the
portlet's PEID, plus the portal page's unique id.  The parameters don't
matter, nor does the ancestry or meta information, nor does the portlet
class.

I'll start making this change, if I hear a positive sanity check from the
developers.

Do we have anything from a portal page (or from the root portlet set element
in a page) that can be used for a unique portal page id?  I need it for this
(and other purposes!).  The file name is ok, but probably won't work for
database versions... Do we need to add a new PEID for this at the portal
level?

- Glenn

ggolden@umich.edu               734-615-1419
http://www-personal.si.umich.edu/~ggolden/