From "David Sean Taylor" <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject RE: Profiler service
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2002 19:44:29 GMT
> Excuse my ignorance - but what does it do?  Does this affect
> how it looks up profiles and allows for language specific
> profiles?  But we would still have country specific profiles
> - correct?

If you turn on the language feature of the profiler (which is the
default), it will search for psml resources with the language and
country code from the request. If you haven't setup your psml on the
file system or database with language and country code subdirectories,
then this feature is not needed. I've noticed that the profiler is
always requesting the PSMLManager service to lookup these resources. We
cache hits, but we don't cache misses. So if your browser tells us that
it has the English language and Canada as the country code, yet you
don't have resources for english or canada, the request is always going
to require two search misses either to the database or file system.

We can improve this in two ways:
1. 'cache' misses
2. the quick fix, turn off the language feature in the profiler

I don't think we can do #2 since I noticed that the default anon has
english and spanish resources.
For now I will change the setting in my local configuration and put the
#1 on my todo list

David