From "Thomas Schaeck" <SCHA...@de.ibm.com>
Subject Re: PortletAPI
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2002 12:01:59 GMT
The work on the Portlet API started about a year ago. I had made the
proposal to create an interface between portlets and portal implementations
to separate both from each other and allow for interoperability. We then
came up with an initial proposal for a Portlet API that was refined in a
discussion on the JetSpeed mailing list.

We then implemented that Portlet API, based on JetSpeed 1.3a1 if I remember
correctly (it should be in a branch of CVS). In parallel work on JetSpeed
1.3 a2 started, mainly with the new aggregation code. We then implemented
the Portlet API for WPS 1.2 with some modifications/improvements that we
had to make during the implementation. Meanwhile, we had to make some
additional changes/improvements to the Portlet API for our product based on
requiements that weren't covered by the first version, that's what is
described in the document PortletAPIDraft.pdf.

The next step will now be to create an official Portlet API standard ...

Best regards,

Thomas

Thomas Schaeck
Architect, WebSphere Portal Server
IBM Pervasive Computing Division
Phone: +49-(0)7031-16-3479   Mobile: +49-(0)171-6928407   e-mail:
schaeck@de.ibm.com   Fax: +49-(0)7031-16-4888
Address: IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH, Schoenaicher Str. 220, 71032
Boeblingen, Germany

"Frans Thamura" <fth4mura@yahoo.com> on 01/02/2002 02:54:17 AM

Please respond to "Jetspeed Developers List"
      <jetspeed-dev@jakarta.apache.org>