From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: FeedDaemon not a service?
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:22:14 GMT
Glenn Golden wrote:

>As I was deciphering how the .ocs files are processed, and found the
>org.apache.jetspeed.daemon.impl.FeedDaemon, and found it was a
>jetspeed.Daemon, I was surprised to find that a Daemon is just a Runnable.
>
>Why are these not turbine services? It would seem that anything that is
>running as a singleton or running a thread, and possibly providing an api to
>the rest of the system (services and portlets) would want to be a service.
>
>Is this just historical (i.e. sure, it would be nice to have these services)
>or am I missing something here?

Historical. Nobody found the time to port it to the new architecture. It
really needs a cleanup.

The same is true about the diskcache and the badurlmanager. The
urlmanager calls them, but they should be integrated in a URLManager
service together.

Even if I did not wrote them originally, I have come to be the one that
best knows this code. Plainly I could not find time to clean it (yet).
It is also fragile code, which makes more painful to try to modify it.

Are you volunteering? ;)