From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: XML changing encodings
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2001 18:03:11 GMT
Ignacio J. Ortega wrote:

>What i say ( and sorry for not explained it very well )..
>
>Is that , when i see xml files ( xreg, jetspeed content and so on ) in
>JetSpeed prior to first run, they have ISO-8859-1 encoding.., and after
>a first run, they all are changed to UTF-8..,

This should make no difference, unless you are having problems with
those files.

The only thing is that you should be aware of encoding if you edit the
files by hand, and the files contain non-US-ASCII characters. In this
case, either use a UTF-8 editor or change the <?xml encoding="XXX"?> line.

The CVS version is ISO encoded because it was generated by hand, but it
is definitely better to have those files UTF encoded, as they could
contain chinese or arabic characters for some users (or even all mixed
up, for a truly global portal) :)