From "Steve Davis" <steve.da...@digitalevergreen.com>
Subject RE: Navigation bar
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2001 19:56:36 GMT
I figured out my problem.  The default value of the
<rtexprvalue> for the pane tag in the tag lib descriptor is
false so it will not evaluate my scripting expression.

I changed this in my /WEB-INF/templates/jsp/tld/template.tld
to be true for the pane tag an now everything works
great.

I noticed that some of the tags in the tld file had
rtexprvalue explicitly set to false even though this
is the default, but none were set to true.  Is it
a bad thing to allow scripting in the tag attributes?
I do not see another way to do what I am trying to
do.

Does anyone else need this capability? Should I submit
a patch for the tld file?  If so which tags do people
wish to allow scripting in the attribute values?

-- Steve Davis

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Davis
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2001 12:59 PM
To: jetspeed-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: RE: Navigation bar

Thanks Raphael,

I am trying to use the <jetspeed:pane> tag to set the pane
input for the tag's name attribute but I am running into
an issue where I cannot get the jsp compiler to treat the
tag variable as anything but a literal.  My screen jsp code
looks like:

<%-- ########################################################### --%>

<%@ taglib uri='/WEB-INF/templates/jsp/tld/template.tld'
prefix='jetspeed' %>
<%@ page import = "org.apache.turbine.util.RunData" %>

<% RunData rundata = (RunData)request.getAttribute("rundata");
   String pane = rundata.getParameters().getString("page");
   if ( pane == null ) {
	pane = "default";
   }
 %>

<h1>PANE = <%= pane %> </h1>
<jetspeed:pane name="<%= pane %>" />

My problem is that the "<%= pane %>" is not evaluated prior to
being passed into the tag code. If I leave off the quotes it
generates an exception for not having quotes.  The evaluation
in the <h1> header tags works fine. It is only the one in
the tag attribute that has a problem.

I thought that I had had occasions to use variable parameters
as tag attribute values before but now I cannot seem to get them
to work.  Anyone have a suggestion for a way that I can handle
this?