From Atul Dambalkar <adamb...@cisco.com>
Subject RE: RE: Putting .psml/markup info into database
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2001 21:42:22 GMT
At 02:22 PM 7/6/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Atul Dambalkar wrote:
> > BTW, what is your opinion on, moving the "fallback" algorithm
> > specific code
> > to some super class and reusing it in the respective sub classes
> > (FileSystemProfilerService/DatabaseProfilerService...)? Or
> > another approach
> > would as I am outlining below that, to create method
> > signatures in such a
> > way that the current ResourceURL/file paths get entirely
> > eliminated and
> > then the PSML location (file system/database/ldap)  will be totally
> > transparent to PsmlManagerService.
>
>Yes, that is the plan.
>I am now looking at either enhancing the Profile object or creating a new
>ProfileLocator object for setting criteria for searching

Great!

>I originally thought the fallback algorithm would be generic, but in
>practice Im finding out that it can differ for different impls.

That is quite possible.

>The ResourceURL/file paths should not surface in the interfaces.

Perfect.

>We are moving towards that with the Profile and the new ProfileLocator
>interfaces

> > >I hope not....I thought I removed that stuff
> >
> > Nope, its still there in CVS HEAD which I extracted on Jul-3,
> > 14.53 PST.
> >

>The customizer is a candidate for complete rewrite ...
>I'd like to see a new customizer written with velocity and pull tools.
>This should be possible soon but we still have some work to complete first,
>such as interfaces (OM API) for PSML.

> > >I will add some new methods to the Profiler interface for
> > listing profiles
> > >(there can be more than one profile per user...)
> > >This shouldn't be too much work, but they will necessary in order to
> > >customize all profiles.
> > >Will also move out the template location methods -- perhaps into a
> > >TemplateLocator service.
> >
> > What is the time line that you are looking for this, to commit?
> >

>Ive started working on this today.
>Hopefully I can refactor this pretty quickly, by the weekend.

That would be fabulous..and then we can start here on the implementation
for the DatabasePsmlManagerService. Hopefully, I will have to just follow
the "config" object (which you are referring below under PsmlManager) to
handle the database interactions.

> > >Im wondering if there is a need for two Profiler services.
> > Perhaps much of
> > >the Profiler functionality, such as searching thru
> > directories, should be
> > >moved down into the CastorPsmlManagerService (and
> > >DatabasePsmlManagerService). The Profiler should not be
> > aware of the file
> > >system.
> >
> > That's perfect. In that case, we need to modify
> > PsmlManagerService for
> > method signatures to handle extracting the PSML information
> > independent of
> > any location...file system/database/ldap.. something like..
> > PSMLDocument getDocument(type (user/role/group), entity
> > (username/rolename/groupname), mediatype, language,
> > resourcename) which can
>
>Yes, this is from a discussion with Raphael a while back:
>
>                                  Profiler
>    request parameters ---------------+---------------> Profile (config
>locator)
>
>                        PsmlManager
>
>   Profile ----------------+-------------------------> PSMLDocument (config)

Yep, that's what we need.  This is now really getting interesting. I am
looking forward to the new ProfileLocator interface ..

-Atul