From Raphaƫl Luta <raphael.l...@networks.groupvu.com>
Subject Re: Putting .psml/markup info into database
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2001 07:54:39 GMT
Atul Dambalkar wrote:

> At 10:00 AM 7/10/01 +0200, you wrote:
>

>> +1 for list(locator) being in Profiler. It's definitely Profiler's job
>> to do
>> that, although I would amend the interface to
>>
>> public Iterator list( RunData data, ProfileLocator locator )
>> or
>> public Iterator list( User user, ProfileLocator locator )
>> or
>> add a get/setUser() in ProfileLocator to put in the RunData User object.
>>
>> Why ? Imagine I want to write an alternate adaptive Profiler that stores
>> persistent information in the User profile... I need to be able to access
>> a pointer to the User.
>> ... All in all, I think the third option is the best, it replaces the
>> string
>> user parameter that was there before and gives a lot more power to the
>> profiling interface and enables a trivial implementation of a
>> DB-backed PSML
>> implementation (just store PSML as BLOB using setPerm())
>>
>> What do you think ?
>

> I am okay with the first two options..but I am not able to follow the
> third..what it is trying to do?

Make sure that whenever you have a ProfileLocator object, you can also
get access to the User specific methods like getTemp(), setTemp(), etc...
Alos, in Turbine a User is not necessarily tied to a login (if he has not
loggied in) and may simply be tied to an identification cookie. This
would enable you to write an "anonymous profiling" rule for selecting the
PSML resource you want to display...

>> or directly in PsmlManager interface, in which case it should be called
>>  IMO:
>
> What is IMO?

In My Opinion.

>> public PSMLDocument getDocument(List locators)
>>
>> and implemented exactly the same way as above... !
>

> I am still concerned about this method being in PsmlManager...even
> though the Profiler is handling creation of ordered list of Locators,
> the "fallback" is job of the profiler..

I understand your concern, it's just that I have no strong opinion one
way or the other as long as the creation of the list is done within
the Profiler.

Vivendi Universal Networks - Paris