From raphael.l...@networks.groupvu.com
Subject Re: Putting .psml/markup info into database
Date Sat, 07 Jul 2001 16:36:52 GMT
Atul Dambalkar wrote:

> At 02:22 PM 7/6/01 -0700, you wrote:
> >Ive started working on this today.
> >Hopefully I can refactor this pretty quickly, by the weekend.
>
> That would be fabulous..and then we can start here on the implementation
> for the DatabasePsmlManagerService. Hopefully, I will have to just follow
> the "config" object (which you are referring below under PsmlManager) to
> handle the database interactions.

Yes, the intitial idea is also to rewrite the CastorPsmlManager implementation
to use the Castor mapping files rather than a generated API (just like the registry
does). The same Castor mapping file can be used to describe both the xml persistence
schema and the DBMS or LDAP persistence schema and if the DBMS, LDAP and XML impl are
all based on Castor, it's very easy to provide upgrade paths from XML -> DBMS/LDAP.

> Yep, that's what we need.  This is now really getting interesting. I am
> looking forward to the new ProfileLocator interface ..

Well, the new ProfileLocator interface would be trivial:

interface ProfileLocator
{
	get/setMediaType()
	get/setLanguage()
	get/setRole()
	get/setUser()
	get/setName()
}

basically it's just a transport for all the possible PSML search criteria

A complete Profile object would associate a Locator with a document, either
like this

interface Profile
{
	PSMLDocument getDocument()
	ProfileLocator getLocator()
}

or like this

interface Profile extends ProfileLocator
{
	PSMLDocument getDocument()
}

I like the second solution best, it's not as clean as the first but easier to use...

The Profiler would still have to code the fallback algorithm but instead of actually
looking for the resource it would just build an ordered list of Locator objects which
should be used for finding documents, from the most preferred to the least preferred
and the PsmlManager implementation will check and return the first document available.

--
Raphaƫl Luta - luta.raphael@networks.vivendi.net