From SCHA...@de.ibm.com
Subject Re: Initial landing of Registry done
Date Thu, 03 May 2001 13:10:29 GMT

Raphael,

seems like you did some good improvements here.

Are the Portlet Fragments consistent with the portlet deployment descriptor
(portlet.xml similar to web.xml) defined in the Portlet Application
document by Thomas Boehme ?

Best regards,

Thomas

Thomas Schaeck
Portal Architect
IBM Pervasive Computing Division
Phone: +49-(0)7031-16-3479   Mobile: +49-(0)171-6928407   e-mail:
schaeck@de.ibm.com   Fax: +49-(0)7031-16-4888
Address: IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH, Schoenaicher Str. 220, 71032
Boeblingen, Germany

Raphael Luta wrote:

I've just completed the initial landing of the new Registry code.
CVS HEAD should now be functional with one specific caveat:

- I've not yet reimplemented portlet parameters nomalization, so if
  you have portlets depending on a cascade of refs to abstract
  portlets they may not retrieve correctly their complete parameters.

I'll add back this functionality tomorrow.

A quick overview of the new registry :

This is a complete rewrite of the registry code, based on interfaces
with implementations that can be XML-serialized with Castor.
I tried to stay as backward compatible on the API as possible in this
iteration of the object model, but I expect additional changes when
the new Portlet API lands.

Among the new features:
- the registry may now use several different files for storing portlet,
  control and controller definitions (called RegistryFragment).
  These fragments are merged by the Registry service and presented as
  unified individual Portlet, PortletControl, PortletController, etc...
  registries to the client code.
  This should simplify the deployment of new portlets since they may now
  be bundled with a RegistryFragment file that can be dynamically
discovered
  by the portal.

There are still several areas that I'll improve in the next few days :
- link the PortletControlFactory and PortletControllerFactory to the
  registry to take advantage of the new controls and controllers
definitions
- update the media type attributes in the OM to actually allow the
distinction
  between 2 dialects of the same mime type
- update the parameter manipulation structure in the Registry OM to
improve
  efficiency

Be sure to test out the new implementation and let me know if you
encounter
any issues.

--
Raphaƫl Luta - luta.raphael@networks.vivendi.net