From "David Sean Taylor" <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject RE: Servlet 2.2 Spec. and serving files from the WEB-INF directory
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2001 18:12:37 GMT
> This looks like defensive behaviour. Instead of acknowledging
> that they have
> a broken requestDispatcher, they look for counterarguments.

Yes, thats not surprising.

> The difference, Ingo, might be that a given app server runs
> or not. But we should not
> go too fast here. David, maybe we can think about a
> workaround for this vendor, like
> not using requestDispatcher or patching theirs. I suggest

How can JSPs work in a Model 2 without a dispather?

The bug must be fixed. Geez, its the damn servlet specification.
They must correctly implement the api.
How do they get away with that j2ee-compliant logo?

> that if they don't react fast
> enough to the issues you publish their name/version/issue
> details and we start looking for
>  workarounds in their user community.

Im just one little person, but I do have a few ways to be heard.
You know what Im working on, what Im writing... :)

> Does the database runs correctly with this vendor's server? I
> bet yes. Let us go slowly on
> this one again.

Yes, it works.
Agreed. We have to acknowledge that many of new users don't know how to
configure a database.
It is valuable to have a configured, working db right in the war
installation

> A good question is:
>
> Which App servers with servlet containers out there use a
> SecurityManager, mandatory or recommended, in their setup?
>
> Can you all erase the rest of the message quote and answer this last
> question, for what you know?

I can do research this for the two app.servers Im working with

btw -- have you seen this
http://www.flashline.com/components/appservermatrix.jsp