I was able to make it work changing the following params (both on server and client side and restarting hbase) and now the query answers in about 6 minutes:

hbase.rpc.timeout (to 600000)
phoenix.query.timeoutMs (to 600000)
hbase.client.scanner.timeout.period (from 1 m to 10m)
hbase.regionserver.lease.period (from 1 m to 10m)

However I'd like to know id those performances could be easily improved or not. Any ideas?