From "Riesland, Zack" <Zack.Riesl...@sensus.com>
Subject Can I change a String column's size and preserve the data?
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2016 15:14:48 GMT
I have a column on a table that is set to varchar(40).

I need to increase that 40, but I don't want to lose any of the data in the table.

The only suggestions I've seen online involve dropping the column and re-creating it, or creating
a new table. But I would like to preserve the name of this table.

If I make a copy table, can I rename it after I drop the original?

What is the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Zack Riesland | Data Analytics
639 Davis Drive | Morrisville, NC 27560 USA
Zack.Riesland@sensus.com<mailto:Zack.Riesland@sensus.com> | www.sensus.com<http://www.sensus.com/>
Skype: zack_riesland

[Sensus]<http://www.sensus.com/>