On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 9:52 AM, Nick Dimiduk <ndimiduk@apache.org> wrote:
On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 12:06 AM, James Taylor <jamestaylor@apache.org> wrote:
Have you tried using the UPDATE_CACHE_FREQUENCY property [1] I mentioned before?

I am still running 4.6, so this flag is not available to me at the moment. It is unacceptable to disable updates to this cache; I do infrequently add columns to my tables. This does not change my position on the cache update happening under rowlock.

I'm hoping that the UPDATE_CACHE_FREQUENCY property will provide a quick, practical solution to the problem. We're, of course, always open to patches and contributions.

Would be good to file a JIRA if you haven't already, and continue the discussion there.

Arun already filed PHOENIX-2607. Do you believe his issue is different from what I'm experiencing?

Based on Arun's comment[1], it sounds like phoenix.stats.useCurrentTime and UPDATE_CACHE_FREQUENCY solved his immediate issue. If there are bigger, architectural changes you'd like to discuss/contribute, let's open a new JIRA.

Thanks,
James

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-2607?focusedCommentId=15146319&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-15146319