Hi Alex,

It's probably not hanging forever, but going through the -- very long by default -- HBase connection retry loop. Probably you can enabled more verbose logging and see exactly what's happening. Can you confirm this is the case and file a ticket against Phoenix at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX ? Depending on how your consuming Phoenix, the log4j.properties file is probably in the bin folder next to sqlline.py.

Thanks,
Nick