Ido,

I've had similar troubles setting up phoenix to work with cdh4, had to re-build phoenix with hadoop and hbase from cdh , I posted steps here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-1041

hope this helps

Alex

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 12:40 PM, Stan Campbell <stan.campbell3@gmail.com> wrote:

Eek.  Ugly trace.  Using your mix of phx hadoop and hbase, can you test successfully without CDH?

On Jun 13, 2014 1:11 AM, "Seonghwan Moon" <sofangel@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Stan,

I have tried but failed  with (CDH5.0.1_hadoop2.3.0 + HBase 0.98.1 + PHX 4 )

Here is the error messages.
Any idea?

14/06/13 17:10:17 WARN ipc.CoprocessorRpcChannel: Call failed on IOException
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RetriesExhaustedException: Failed after attempts=35, exceptions:
Fri Jun 13 17:01:06 KST 2014, org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RpcRetryingCaller@62d99734, java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: For input string: "1_CDH5"
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcServer.call(RpcServer.java:2051)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.CallRunner.run(CallRunner.java:98)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.SimpleRpcScheduler.consumerLoop(SimpleRpcScheduler.java:160)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.SimpleRpcScheduler.access$000(SimpleRpcScheduler.java:38)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.SimpleRpcScheduler$1.run(SimpleRpcScheduler.java:110)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "1_CDH5"
        at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:65)
        at org.apache.phoenix.hbase.index.util.VersionUtil.encodeVersion(VersionUtil.java:37)
        at org.apache.phoenix.hbase.index.util.VersionUtil.encodeVersion(VersionUtil.java:28)
        at org.apache.phoenix.util.MetaDataUtil.encodeHBaseAndPhoenixVersions(MetaDataUtil.java:106)
        at org.apache.phoenix.coprocessor.MetaDataEndpointImpl.getVersion(MetaDataEndpointImpl.java:1374)
        at org.apache.phoenix.coprocessor.generated.MetaDataProtos$MetaDataService.callMethod(MetaDataProtos.java:6611)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegion.execService(HRegion.java:5493)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.execServiceOnRegion(HRegionServer.java:3300)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.execService(HRegionServer.java:3282)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.protobuf.generated.ClientProtos$ClientService$2.callBlockingMethod(ClientProtos.java:29501)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcServer.call(RpcServer.java:2012)
        ... 5 more

Upgrading the HBase version on CDH is not as hard as it sounds.  We're using CDH5 with HBase 0.98 and PHX 4.  It's enough to just replace the lib jars for HBase and update the sym links.