Sorry I missed this, thanks for the response.  Yeah I worked around it for now, sometimes these sql access layers set things that make sense but are out of your control.  That seems like a good nuclear option, but maybe if no one else cares Ill just stick with what I have.  BTW, I was using this library http://scalikejdbc.org/  It sets readOnly for asking about the metadata of each table...

-Dan