Yes, a BIGINT (fixed 8 byte Long) may be used in an index. Pretty much every fixed sized type *except* BINARY may be used. Because a column value that maps to a KeyValue may be null (i.e. absent), we need a way of representing that in the index row key. With numeric types we have that by converting them to a DECIMAL.

File a JIRA, though. There are ways to encode BINARY data that would leave us a way to represent the absence of a value.