Yes, phoenix.schema.dropMetaData is a client-side setting.

You can create a VIEW instead of a TABLE and your data won't be deleted. However, performance won't be as good as with a TABLE under some circumstances. Also, you wouldn't be able to use mutable secondary indexing with VIEWs. Note also, the old data is still there - we've just added Delete markers. You can actually connect at an "earlier" timestamp and continue to query the old data: http://phoenix.incubator.apache.org/faq.html#/Can_phoenix_work_on_tables_with_arbitrary_timestamp_as_flexible_as_HBase_API

Thanks,
James